Thursday, September 13, 2007

Chucklebear II: European Vacation

So I never did get around to writing that last summary blog for the South America trip. I got back home and was distracted by so many things that I guess I just couldn't be bothered. Anywho, none of that matters any more because I'm back on the road, except this time I am with my girlfriend Brit and we are in Europe. Some of you may be thinking that it really hasn't been that long since I was last away, and are probably wondering how I could possibly afford to go on a trip such as this, and you'd be right to wonder, because basically I can't. But that's all part of the fun and should make things at least a little more interesting for you the reader. This being the case though, you may expect my entries to be briefer and fewer this time around, as I am paying about $6 an hour here instead of the 6cents an hour in South America.
As far as European themed sequels go, I am hoping that this blog at least meets the standard of Deuce Bigalow European Gigolo, and perhaps even be a little more interesting than the instant classic Eurotrip. I figure if you aim high enough you might just reach mediocrity.
But enough blabber, onto the trip. In Adelaide yesterday morning Brit and I jumped on a plane to Singapore , and by pure coincedence found ourselves on the same flight as our dear friend Ben McGee. We managed to organise it so that we were sitting together and enjoyed a pleasant trip before farewelling Ben at the Singapore airport. Our next flight to Zurich surprised us a bit as neither of us had checked how long the flight was, which to our dismay turned out to be a very long one, accentuated by the screaming child in the row behind us. From Zurich we flew to Heathrow airport, tired and disoriented we collected our bags and tried to make sense of the subway system. Given our state we did pretty well, and found our way to our hostel without any major hassles. The hostel is alright, a bit dingy and smelly, but that's what you get for £10. Since then we have been walking round London (mostly Hye park and Nottinghill) and trying to stay awake. Believe it or not everything looks very British, we even saw some squirrels scurrying around in Hyde Park. I'm not really doing it justice at the moment, I'm extremely jet lagged, I have absolutley no sense of time presently, and my current surroundings aren't exactly inspiring. I am currently sitting under fluroescent lights in the basement of a dodgy pizza shop that they have turned into an internet 'cafe', plus there's a guy sitting next to me burping loudly every 20 seconds. He is truly disgusting.
Regardless, it's all a bit hard to believe we're here at the moment. What we have seen of London so far has been pretty cool, and I know that when we get over this jetlag, we're going to enjoy it even more. So until then, take it easy.
Chucklebear

No comments: